PEOPLE WHO LOVE CAMPING, ENERGETIC, FUN,
ENTHUSIASTIC FOR LIFE AND WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Qualities we are looking for in the leaders we choose for our GAP Year Team:
1. Strong Christian principles and ethics as people see you as a role model
2. Good communication skills
3. Sensitivity and compassion
4. Problem solving skills
5. Ability to inspire and encourage
6. People who are respectable and have integrity
7. Strong work ethic
8. Willingness and enthusiasm
9. Resilience and a positive attitude, particularly when tired or under stress
10. 18 years up to 25 years old.
Our gap-year Christian Leadership programme offers the opportunity to grow in faith and learn to become a strong Christian leader while having fun, serving others and learning life skills along the journey.
Em’seni Camp, “place of Grace”, is a Christian adventure based camp set on the banks of the Tugela River below the majestic Spioenkop Mountain near Winterton, KZN.
Our summer and winter holiday camps, school camps, church group camps, plus major sporting events are held throughout the year at Emseni Camp and this is where the GAP team will be based.
We are looking for young people who can influence others and become Christian role models. Part of leadership is learning how to work with, and handle people in every aspect of life. The Leadership GAP year will include working on our camp and being involved in every aspect of camp life.
Outreach to local communities and villages.
- Aspects of life on camp will include learning how a large working camp runs and being involved in everything from bookings and reception, catering, housekeeping, preparation to activities co-ordination and running of camps of all kinds.
- Development, repairs and maintenance on the camp grounds, building new adventure activities, planning for large events.
- Visiting churches and schools in a marketing and ministry capacity.
- Social media and marketing training for advertising and promotions.
- Thinking up new ideas for activities and games for campers.
- Being involved in the preparation and co-ordination of large sporting events which are hosted at Emseni such as the Berg and Bush cycle race, the Oxpecker Trail run and the Joburg2c cycle race.
- Cooking skills for the bush
- Cooking course
- Healthy living
- Conflict resolution while sharing a home with others
- Training on various topics.. ie budgeting, saving, planning
SUIS Ministry and Discipleship
This is a vital part of the Team’s role which involves working in the schools and at Em’seni when schools join us for their camps. The Team members are also personally mentored by the trained SUIS staff as they go on a journey of growth and discipleship throughout the year. This involves growing in their knowledge and relationship with God as well as discovering their personal gifts, talents and dreams. All of this takes place in a loving Christian community, within the camp and in the surrounding community.
- Ministering to campers, helping with prayer groups, welcoming guests who visit the camp and being an ambassador for Emseni and SUIS at all times.
- Assisting with, and learning about technology and sound set-up for worship and all ministry activities that take place at the camp as well as off-site.
- Being willing to grow in public speaking in a variety of settings and also writing in order to share the gospel in an effective and loving way.
- Building quality ministry relationships with those teenagers whom we reach out to.
- Local community outreach projects.
Leaders who have been a part of this GAP Year programme at Em’seni Camp will have been exposed to many aspects of life, events and organisation and having this on a CV will be a great testimony of character.
For more information and to apply to join the GAP Year programme